How To Put Money Into Your TNStars Account
Putting money into your TNStars account is one of the most frequent and important actions you’ll take to grow your account. This page will explain the different all of your options for how to make contributions. From setting up recurring contributions, to rolling over funds from another 529 plan, to e-gifting, here’s what you need to know...
Online Instructions: Electronic Funds Transfer
To make a contribution via a one-time electronic funds transfer contribution from your bank checking or savings account, login to your TNStars® account and follow the steps below:
- 1. Locate the “Accounts Financial Management” tab in the blue navigation bar towards the top of the screen.
- 2. Select “Investment Management” from the dropdown menu for "Accounts Financial Management"
- 3. In the top right hand corner of the page, locate the “Contribute” button.
- 4. Follow the prompts to designate the amount and bank account of the electronic funds transfer then click “Finish.” A confirmation email will be sent to confirm the contribution request has been received for processing.
Electronic Funds TransferTo make contribution via a one-time electronic funds transfer from your bank checking or savings account, complete sections 1, 5, 6, and 10 of the Account Maintenance Form.
Personal Check Contribution
You can send a personal check to contribute to your TNStars account to the address below. Please include the account number and name of the designated beneficiary in the memo line. Also, if contributing to multiple accounts, include instructions with the amount to be contributed to each account. Cashier's Checks and Starter Checks are not accepted.
P.O. Box 198801
Nashville, TN 37219
Saving is easier when you make it automatic! Setting up an Automatic Investment Plan allows you to make recurring contributions from a checking or savings account at the frequency that works for you.
Online Instructions: Automatic Investment Plan
To establish a new Automatic Investment Plan, login to your TNStars® account and follow the steps below:
- 1.Locate the "Accounts Financial Management" tab in the blue navigation bar towards the top of the screen.
- 2.Select the "Investment Plan Management" from the dropdown menu for "Accounts Financial Management."
- 3.Select to Add “Periodic Contributions" located halfway down the page. Follow the prompts then click "Finish." A confirmation email will be sent to verify a change to the account.
Automatic Investment Plan
To establish a new Automatic Investment Plan, complete sections 1, 5, and 10 of the Account Maintenance Form.
To initiate a rollover from an existing 529 plan to TNStars, open a TNStars account, if you have not done so already, then complete the Rollover Form as follows:
- Section 1: Include information for your TNStars account you will be rolling funds into.
- Section 2: Include information for your existing 529 plan account which is the source of your rollover. If you do not know the Basis and Earnings information, you may leave that section blank.
- Section 3: Sign your name to authorize TNStars to act on your behalf in contacting your current 529 plan manager to initiate the rollover.
- Section 4: Leave this section blank unless you are not the account holder for the existing 529. A signature guarantee may be required by your current program manager. Contact your program manager to determine if a signature guarantee is required.
Note: The IRS allows only one rollover to another 529 plan per twelve-month period for the same beneficiary; however, there is no restriction on the number of times you can rollover a 529 plan to a "member of the family" of the beneficiary. Refer to IRS Publication 970 for clarity regarding the definition of "member of the family."
To invite friends and family to contribute via email gifting invitations, login to your TNStars® account and follow the steps below:
- 1.Locate the "Gifting" tab in the blue navigation bar towards the top of the screen.
- 2.Select "Create a Gift Invitation" from the dropdown menu for "Gifting."
- 3.Review the 529 Gift Invitation Process.
- 4.Click the "529 Gift – Create an Invitation" button at the bottom of the screen.
- 5.In the "Invitation Action" field, select "Create and send invitation."
- 6.The "Invitation Details" box will allow you to add invitees via the "Add New Invitee" button. Include the name, email, and phone number for each individual designated to receive the invitation then Select "OK."
- 7.Once all invitees have been added, click the "Next" button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- 8.On the "Create Invitation" screen, you may select and customize the email message to accompany your gifting link then click “Next.”
- 9.Review the "Email Details" information and select the box to accept the "Terms and Conditions."
- 10.Select "Save and Send Email" to transmit email invitations. You will receive an email confirmation to confirm each gifting invitation sent.